Proudly representing clients in family law and criminal defense matters since 1975.

Address The Property Division Aspect Of Your Divorce With Confidence

A fundamental part of every divorce is the division of property that has belonged to spouses during a marriage. For clarity and peace of mind, work closely with an experienced family law attorney who will help you achieve your objectives in ways that will promote your financial health after the divorce.

At Everett Family Law, we dedicate time and attention to understanding each client’s priorities regarding community property division and advise them accordingly. What property matters most to you from among the following?

  • Your marital home
  • A vacation home and/or investment real estate properties
  • A business or partial ownership of a business
  • Your vehicle(s), recreational equipment, jewelry, collectibles and other personal property
  • Your financial accounts

Our divorce attorneys will help you devise strategies for negotiations, mediation and/or litigation that will position to keep the assets that are most important to you.

A Personalized Approach To Property Division

To discuss how your marital property should be divided, we will address questions about your unique situation, such as those below.

Is it in your best interests to try to keep your marital home?

If you will have custody of your children most of the time and they are well-adjusted in their local school and neighborhood, you may decide that keeping the house matters a great deal. You may be willing to yield other community assets to your spouse in exchange for full ownership of the house. On the other hand, you may seek to avoid the burdens of home upkeep by letting your spouse take the house and compensate you with other assets or by agreeing to sell it and split the proceeds.

Has either of you served in the military during your marriage?

According to laws in Washington, you may be eligible to receive half of your spouse’s military retirement pay if you have been married at least 10 years. Federal law says the same if you have been married at least 20 years while one of you was in the military. Work with an attorney who understands military divorce in Washington to be sure you are set up to receive all that is due to you.

Does one of you own a business?

The spouse who is the business owner may be extra concerned about keeping the business intact and, therefore, may be willing to let other marital assets go. Untangling the business from the divorce can be challenging but important. Business valuation is the first step.

What about nonmilitary retirement funds?

A family law judge will expect to see reasonable agreements covering the division of community property, including retirement assets. If your marriage has not been of just a short duration, the division of retirement accounts may be spelled out in a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). You may reach agreements about this and other issues through divorce mediation.

We Will Guide You In Your Best Interest Through Property Division

Washington is a community property state. This means that many assets considered to be community property tend to be split equally. However, there are other assets that do not count as community property, such as inheritances and gifts. If you are concerned about losing property that is rightfully yours, we can fight for you.

We will examine all necessary details of your marriage and community property to see that the division is fair and serves your best interests. What’s more, our efforts to provide efficient representation often make for a cost-effective resolution. With Everett Family Law at the helm, you can protect your assets while keeping control of legal expenses.

Turn To Our Experienced Divorce Lawyers To Discuss Asset Division

When you are going through a divorce, our attorneys will help you make the decisions that are likely to lead to the results you hope for. To schedule a confidential consultation, call us at 866-689-6251 or complete our online form. Understand your rights in community property division by calling our 24/7 hotline at 509-279-0381, with support in English and Spanish.

Se habla español.